V8 is written in C++ and is used in Google Chrome, the open source browser from Google.
V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 5th edition, and runs on Windows (XP or newer), Mac OS X (10.5 or newer), and Linux systems that use IA-32 (SSE2 required), x64, ARM (ARMv6 + VFP2 required) or MIPS processors.
V8 can run standalone, or can be embedded into any C++ application.
You can find more information here:
- The V8 documentation page which includes instructions on downloading and building V8.
- Performance documentation covering the performance goals of V8, and instructions on how to run the Octane benchmark suite (evolution of the V8 benchmark suite).
- User mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/v8-users
- The V8 contributor wiki page.
- The V8 blog http://v8project.blogspot.com/